Purrfect Pals News

It Took Two Years but FIV+ Frederick is Finally Home!

It Took Two Years but FIV+ Frederick is Finally Home!

After two and a half years of being a bridesmaid (and watching his friends in FIV Land get adopted one by one), Frederick is finally in his forever home! This sweet guy came to Purrfect Pals in October of 2013. He was shy and quiet, suffering from an infected abscess on his tail, which eventually needed to be amputated. Our sweet, chubby, bunny-tailed wallflower didn’t understand that potential adopters wanted him to interact with them. We are so excited to share that FINALLY someone saw what a wonderful boy he is and took him home on Saturday. We just received this email update from Frederick (with a little bit of help from his new Dad):

“Thanks for seeing me off on Saturday, sure enjoying my new digs. Such a long car ride, though, I got a little upset. Fortunately with the big carrier Susan gave us Lars was able to reach in through the top and rub my neck and reassure me. After 1/2 hour I was able to settle down and relax. He also brought Temptation treats for the ride… YUM! When we got home I systematically explored every square foot of my new house. So many places to explore! Lars showed me my little feeding station and put down quite a spread – 2 types of canned food, a dish of dry and also some salmon. I nibbled some wet food and chugged a lot of water I was so thirsty from meowing in the car.

Me and Lars hung out on the couch that night and I scored some serious petting. Ear rubs, chin rubs, scratching on top of my head, butt scratches and tummy rubs (my fave). Afterwards I was feeling so content I began making my little ‘trilling’ noises. Lars can make them too, and we did this little call and response thing on the couch for awhile. Such FUN!! I also have my own little comfort station on the couch with a pillow and blanket, I can see out the window from.

We stayed up late and watched a movie, but when Lars went to bed I cried outside the bedroom door. I tried to be brave but it was a scary day for me after getting an FVRCP shot, FeLV booster, a long car ride, then a whole new environment and new person to adjust to. Lars came rushing out immediately, scooped me up and petted me on the couch awhile and talked in soothing tones. I felt a lot better and finally fell asleep on my pillow.

On Sunday decided to sample some dry food, and also ate some Evanger’s and Pro Plan (canned). I also tried out my big litter box for the 2nd time while Lars stood by beaming; he seemed genuinely relieved. I don’t know what the big fuss is over going potty. In the afternoon I watched out the window while Lars labored away mowing the lawn and yard work. After dinner we had some more quality time and took a nap together.

Thank you everyone for taking me on board and taking care of me all this time!

Love and Purrs,