Congratulations on Your New Family Member!
The first few weeks in a new home can be a difficult transition for a new cat or kitten…or they might settle in right away! Cats are like people, every one of them is different. On this page you will find some great tips, links and videos which were selected to help you make the transition as smooth as possible.
A Few Important Reminders:
30-Day Trial of Trupanion Pet Insurance (for cats 13 years or younger)
- If your cat is thirteen years of age or younger, there is a certificate in your cat’s adoption packet for a free 30-Day Trial of Trupanion Pet Insurance and Purrfect Pals highly recommends that you activate it.
- Cats don’t always adjust well to change, even if it is good change like being adopted! It is not uncommon for recently adopted cats to develop upper respiratory infections or digestive issues. The trial will help reduce the risk of veterinary bills immediately after adoption.
- We have researched Trupanion and found that their coverage is among the most comprehensive available in the pet insurance market!
- The free 30-day trial needs to be activated within 24 hours of your cat’s adoption.
- You do NOT need to provide credit card information to activate the free trial and there is no obligation to convert to a paid policy.
- FYI, If you activate the free trial or convert the trial to a paid policy, Purrfect Pals will receive donations or either $4.00 or $20.00 from Trupanion.
Free Vet Visit
- There is a certificate for a free “well cat examination” in your adoption packet. Specific veterinarians are listed but many others will accept it. If your vet is not listed, we recommend asking them if they will honor the certificate.
- We recommend you take your new cat to a veterinarian for a check-up within the first week. Be sure to bring your cat’s vaccine records and any other medical records.
- Your cat has been implanted with a life-saving microchip. We submitted the registration form you completed to HomeAgain to register the chip with your current contact information. If your pet is found and scanned for a microchip, the microchip company will be able to contact you.
- The information you need to keep your contact information up-to-date is in your packet and contact information for microchip companies is provided on this page.
YouTube Video Library for Adopters:
The Do's & Don'ts of Introducing Cats00:03:45
How To Introduce A Cat To Its New Home00:03:47
How to Set a Routine for a New Cat00:02:25
The Best Way To Introduce Your Two Cats00:08:03
Tips for bringing home a new cat - How to bring a kitten home00:04:04
Tips to introducing a new cat to other cats and dogs00:04:30
Cat Connection - Kitty Introductions00:01:38
Ep 12 - Cat Care: Bringing A New Kitty Home00:04:28
Ep 13 - Cat Care: How To Introduce Cats To Each Other00:05:07
Ep 14 - Cat Care: New Cat Issues-Antisocial Behavior and Not Using the Litterbox00:05:25
Need Help with Your Cat? Purrfect Pals is Here for You!
We want you to be successful integrating your adopted cat or kitten into your home and know it isn’t always a quick and easy process. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or (360) 652-9611 with any questions or concerns. We would be happy to give advice or point you toward helpful resources.