Our Gift Acceptance Policy
PURPOSE OF POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
Purrfect Pals, a not for profit organization under the laws of the State of Washington, encourages the solicitation and acceptance of current and deferred gifts for purposes that will help the organization further and fulfill its mission:
- Through placement and prevention programs, Purrfect Pals works to end cat homelessness in the Puget Sound region – Because every cat matters.
It is the purpose of these policies and guidelines to govern the acceptance of gifts made to Purrfect Pals and to provide guidance to prospective donors and their advisors when making gifts. The provisions of these policies shall apply to all gifts received by Purrfect Pals for any of its programs or services. The Executive Committee must approve gift agreements that deviate from the policies set forth here. All gifts solicited under these policies shall be accepted pursuant to the guidelines set forth in the corporate resolution adopted by the Board of Directors.
Gifts given for a specific purpose will be used for that purpose. However, Purrfect Pals reserves the right to redirect the gift, or its remainder, if the original purpose is fulfilled or is no longer viable.
RESPONSIBILITY TO DONORS
In all matters involving donors or prospective donors, the interests and concerns of a donor’s personal financial position take priority over the contribution to Purrfect Pals. No agreement shall be made between Purrfect Pals and any agency, person, company or organization on any matter, whether investment, management, or otherwise, which would knowingly jeopardize a donor’s interest. It shall be the policy of Purrfect Pals to not use any high-pressure techniques when dealing with prospective donors. The task of all fundraising personnel shall be to inform, serve, guide or otherwise assist the donor in fulfilling his or her philanthropic wishes, but never, under any circumstance, to pressure or unduly influence. No personnel employed by Purrfect Pals shall receive commissions that could give such personnel a direct beneficial interest in any agreement. All information concerning donors or prospective donors of gifts shall be kept strictly confidential by Purrfect Pals and its authorized personnel unless permission is obtained from donors to release such information. Purrfect Pals shall not sell, rent or exchange names of donors to any company, organization or person.
USE OF LEGAL COUNSEL
Purrfect Pals urges all prospective donors to seek the assistance of personal legal and financial advisors in matters relating to their gifts, including the resulting tax and estate planning consequences. The following policies and guidelines govern acceptance of gifts made to Purrfect Pals for the benefit of any of its operations, programs or services.
Purrfect Pals will seek the advice of legal counsel in matters relating to acceptance of gifts when appropriate. Review by counsel is recommended for:
- Gifts of securities that are subject to restrictions or buy-sell agreements.
- Documents naming Purrfect Pals as trustee or requiring Purrfect Pals to act in any fiduciary capacity.
- Gifts requiring Purrfect Pals to assume financial or other obligations.
- Transactions with potential conflicts of interest.
- Gifts of property which may be subject to environmental or other regulatory restrictions.
RESTRICTIONS ON GIFTS
Purrfect Pals will accept unrestricted gifts and gifts for specific programs and purposes, provided that such gifts are not inconsistent with its stated mission, purposes and priorities. Purrfect Pals will not accept gifts that are too restrictive in purpose. Gifts that are too restrictive are those that (a) violate the terms of its corporate charter, (b) would result in Purrfect Pals losing its status as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, (c) are too difficult or expensive to administer in relation to their value, (d) would result in any unacceptable consequences for Purrfect Pals, or (e) are for purposes outside the mission of the organization. All final decisions on the restrictive nature of a gift and its acceptance or refusal shall be made by the Executive Committee, in consultation with the Executive Director.
GIFTS GENERALLY ACCEPTED WITHOUT REVIEW
- Purrfect Pals accepts cash gifts online and in person. Cash gifts are acceptable in any form including check, money order, credit card or cash. Donors wishing to make a gift by credit card must provide the card type (e.g., Visa, MasterCard, American Express), card number, expiration date, billing zip code and name of the card holder as it appears on the credit card. Checks shall be made payable to Purrfect Pals and shall be delivered to 230 McRae Rd NE, Arlington, WA 98223.
- In-Kind Gifts. “In-kind gifts” refers to the donation of goods and services for use by Purrfect Pals. The acceptance of in-kind gifts is based upon the relevance to the mission of Purrfect Pals and/or the financial benefit to accepting said gift. Purrfect Pals reserves the right to decline any in-kind gifts. In-kind gifts commonly accepted by Purrfect Pals include but are not limited to:
- Cat Food and Supplies for use in the Purrfect Pals sanctuary, adoption centers, foster homes, offices and/or community pet food bank
- Auction Items to be sold at the Black Cat Ball Gala, online or via other Purrfect Pals fundraisers
- Other Items and Services on our In-Kind Gift Wish List
- Marketable Securities. Purrfect Pals may accept gifts of stocks, bonds or other securities. Marketable securities may be transferred electronically to an account maintained at one or more brokerage firms or delivered physically with the transferor’s endorsement or signed stock power (with appropriate signature guarantees) attached. As a general rule, all marketable securities will be sold promptly upon receipt unless otherwise directed by Purrfect Pals’s Executive Committee. In some cases, marketable securities may be restricted, for example, by applicable securities laws or the terms of the proposed gift; in such instances the decision whether to accept the restricted securities shall be made by the Executive Committee.
- Bequests and Beneficiary Designations under Revocable Trusts, Life Insurance Policies, Commercial Annuities and Retirement Plans. Donors are encouraged to make bequests to Purrfect Pals under their wills, and to name Purrfect Pals as the direct beneficiary under trusts, life insurance policies, commercial annuities and retirement plans. A donor’s wishes regarding restricted use of a bequest will be honored subject to its acceptance by the organization and to the requirements of applicable laws.
- Charitable Remainder Trusts. Purrfect Pals will accept designation as a remainder beneficiary of charitable remainder trusts.
- Charitable Lead Trusts. Purrfect Pals will accept designation as an income beneficiary of charitable lead trusts.
GIFTS ACCEPTED SUBJECT TO PRIOR REVIEW
Certain forms of gifts or donated properties may be subject to review prior to acceptance. Examples of gifts subject to prior review include, but are not limited to:
- Tangible Personal Property – Purrfect Pals shall review and determine whether to accept any gifts of tangible personal property in light of the following considerations: Does the property further the organization’s mission? Is the property marketable? Are there any unacceptable restrictions imposed on the property? Are there any carrying costs for the property for which the organization may be responsible? Is the title/provenance of the property clear?
- Real Estate – Purrfect Pals will consider gifts of real property, both improved and unimproved (e.g., detached single-family residences, condominiums, apartment buildings, rental property, commercial property, farms, acreage, etc.) including gifts subject to a retained life estate, only after a thorough review of the criteria for acceptance set forth below under the direction of the Executive Committee. Purrfect Pals will not accept any gift of real estate involving a time-share arrangement. In the event that the initial review reveals a potential problem, the organization may retain a qualified environmental firm to conduct an environmental audit. Criteria for acceptance of gifts of real estate include: Is the property useful for the organization’s purposes? Is the property readily marketable? Are there covenants, conditions, restrictions, reservations, easements, encumbrances or other limitations associated with the property? Are there carrying costs (including insurance, property taxes, mortgages, notes, or the like) or maintenance expenses associated with the property? Does the environmental review or audit reflect that the property is damaged or otherwise requires remediation?
COMPLIANCE WITH CHARITABLE DONATION SUBSTANTIATION REQUIREMENTS
All donations received by Purrfect Pals shall be acknowledged and receipted in accordance with IRS requirements. Specifically, receipts (or acknowledgment letters acting as a receipt) shall include the following as applicable:
- The amount of the donation if made by cash
- A description of any property (including securities) donated
- A statement that the charity provided no goods or services as consideration for the contribution; OR
- A description and good faith estimate of the value of the goods and services provided to the contributor, if applicable
Approved on March 17, 2019 by the Purrfect Pals Board of Directors